Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thrusday



Today is Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday depending on your heritage. My rather narrow German Lutheran background calls for Maundy. It comes from Latin through Middle English and Old French. The Latin word is mandatum used in John 13:34: "A new commandment I give unto to you. That you have loved one another as I have loved you". Many churches do ritual foot washings this day. We Saint Johnians will do a sort of Passover Seder and a worship service. No dirty feet here! I just finished making matzohs for this evening, no mean feat in my little trailer. Of course, the Jews in Egypt had some hurdles of their own to overcome.


Today is the day that I will quit smoking tobacco, I will still smoke meats and things when I can. Smoking has haunted me for years. It has always made me feel less than I could be. Stupid, I know, but I think it has often separated me from the Lord. It's that example thing and has hung me up for years. Or, maybe I have used it as a convenient excuse. I have decided that if I am to go forward in my service to God, I must put it behind me. How many years? Forty-nine, a lot more than I have left. I need prayer more than ever. I am told that the physical craving goes away in a short time. Maybe I'll put on weight, a little wouldn't hurt.
Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment