Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back Again

I'm finally back. The first post since December, but I can't beat myself up about that. I feel pretty good actually, considering. I was finally layed off the first weekend in January...no business. I am not able to collect unemployment, because of working under the table. No one to blame but myself. But, a most important but, I am not all that depressed. I think that I am finally getting it. It being St. Paul's "the peace that passes all understanding." Peace in times both good and bad, so that is good.
Today is the third Wednesday in Lent and tonight I am leading our Lenten service. I worry so much that I am all style and no substance, whether I will rely on my performance skills to sell the message, rather than something more heartfelt. It is something that I wrestle with, often. The only training that I formally received taught me how to perform and how to read books. As long as what I am doing is to the glory of God, I think that I'm alright. Many modern American Christians don't observe Lent. I don't know why, perhaps it is too Roman Catholic. Historically, the church has observed a type of Lent since the middle of the second century. (That we know of.) So, it would seem to me that it has a long and tolerably honorable history. Anyway, I am glad that we observe it it, to prepare and remind us of the upcoming passion. It is, after all, the defining moment of Christianity, the fulfilment of a promise given way back in Genesis 3. It's why I still like my crosses to be complete with the corpus, i.e. a true crucifix. Although some feel the resurrection is the seminal moment, but I have always felt it was the sacrifice that redeemed me, not the rising.
Wish me grace, tonight.
Sole Deus gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment